Tuesday 19 April 2011

The Alphabet

Is really hard to write sentences in the order of.

My next chosen assignment was "To spark new and unusual ideas, have students work alone or in small groups to write a sentence where each subsequent word begins with the next letter of the alphabet" 


I don't think it sparked much other than frustration. In the end, I split my sentence into several absolutely nonsensical sentences, creating a paragraph with little to no connection from one sentence to the next. 


"A balloon called Derek endeavors for great help in jolly kooky laments. Moreover, no one pardoned quaggas randomly searching trees under vacuums. Witty xylem yodels zealously."


However, it is a great expander of knowledge and vocabulary. For example, I learned there is an extinct type of zebra that they are bringing back to life in South Africa through genetic things, called a quagga. How this relates to creative writing? The word is a noun that starts with 'q', a relatively rare thing. And it's really cool, so I just had to use it in my paragraph. They look like this: 


I love quaggas. 


And now that I am finished with my off-topic, I will show an example of an alphabet song. This is about how to pronounce the letters, just in case you don't know. A catchy song, too. Although I don't recommend watching it past about the first minute, because it just repeats itself.





7 comments:

  1. this is a great video, it taught me alot. Thank you for posting it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy creative nonsense. It always lends insight into the fact that literature itself tends to be insane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I <3 your love for Quaggas and I quite enjoyed both the video and your alphabet paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your nonsensical sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That video truly expanded my knowledge of the alphabet. The outstanding lyrics and vocal work, paired with the skillful use of clip-art made for a truly edu-taining experience. "U goes uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh"
    Oh yes, and your mastery of the english language continues to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thought of anything yodelling zealously amuses me.
    And the quaggas are pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Along with Sarah and Reid, I also greatly enjoyed the video and learned many things I shall carry with me through out the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete